Sunday, September 21, 2014

Bluegrass Jam Camp..Bristol Rhythm And Root Reunion



As a writer who also writes about golf, I have been so busy covering the end of season events in professional golf that I haven't had time to get a post up here on Sounds of the Mountains, but I finally broke away last week and got in some jamming at Bristol.

Dr. Banjo holds jam camps all around the country, and this time of the year, they hold a three-day bluegrass jam just ahead of the Bristol Rhythm & Roots Reunion. This year the event was hosted by the folks at the new Birthplace of Country Music Museum.

The jam was lead by Gilbert and Leigh Nelson at the museum with an assist from Doug Miller. The week was topped off with a power jam on Thursday evening with musicians from the Abingdon area, and a 15-minute set on the Mural Stage, Friday evening at Rhythm & Roots.

The session included three days of Jamming instruction, breakout instrument and vocal training, and lots of playing. We had folks from the local area, and one guy from as far away as Wisconsin. 

I received pointers on my banjo, guitar, dog house as well as the finer points of singing harmony. In short, I had a blast playing bluegrass, and meeting a bunch great people.

We played music almost continually from 10 AM to 6 PM daily, and on Thursday after a supper break, we jammed well into the evening.  

The Pete Wernick jamming method provides a safe place for closet pickers where they can jam with other people who are at their talent level. By the end of the first day, we were playing slow to medium speed songs with ease.

By the end of the session and into the performance on the stage at Rhythm & Roots, everyone was able to keep up with some speedy bluegrass standards.

Gilbert Nelson is an entertaining, and very knowledgeable instructor who teaches all instruments in the bluegrass arsenal, as well as techniques for getting out to local jams. 

I recommend that anyone who is like myself, a little apprehensive about going out to join a local jam, the Wernick Method is a great place to begin, where you can gain the confidence to fit in.

Although I have played guitar and bass in many jams, my fear was that darn banjo. Can I pick the banjo out in public and not make a fool out of myself. The jam camp has provided that bridge.

The session in Bristol also included a tour of the Birthplace of Country Music Museum. I had always heard of the 1927 Bristol Sessions, but never really understood why Bristol, and why 1927. I answered all those questions, and more during my trip through the museum.

If you love music of all kinds, and want to know more about the history around it, this is the place for you. It is well worth the $13.00 admission if you are in the area.

Not only did the jam camp include admission to the Museum, it also came with a pass to the Bristol Rhythm & Roots Reunion. 

The only bad thing here is, I will have to wait until year to do it again.



No comments:

Post a Comment